Let The Count Down Begin

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Body by Baby?

So it's about time!! How long can I keep telling myself my big hips, booty and belly are all due to having a baby???? Well...For quite sometime now we've been yearning to lose weight and get back into shape. We all know how easy it is to say, "okay I'll start tomorrow" but today while I was at the Dr.'s office I read an article on Type 2 diabetes and who is likely to be at high risk. Let me just say I'm a huge candidate for the disease. I want to prolong it for as long as I can and maybe just maybe escape the cruel and nondiscriminatory disease. My father died from complications of the disease and just recently we found out that my mother was diagnosed as a diabetic.

Well today was the day. I picked Ryley up from school and made a U-turn and headed for the gym. With both girls in tow I entered the fitness center and signed us up!! The first thing I asked about was the kids club for the girls. They offer a kids aerobic class on Saturday mornings for kids Ryley's age which is great because Ry kept asking if she could exercise. Ryley thinks exercising is like playing a game. I hope she feels this way later in life:) I wasn't able to exercise right there and then because I didn't have gym clothes and the kids were tired and hungry.

When David came home both of the girls were napping so guess where I went? Yuppers...the gym! It felt so good to exercise and sweat!!! I'm really looking forward to losing some weight. Our family walks just isn't enough for me to lose weight, plus my foot really hurts after I walk on concrete:(

I must say...at the beginning of my workout I was pretty intimidated by all the other people working out. What I mean by this is...these people had fabo bodies...and here I am. UGH! I asked myself...how did this happen? How did I get so fat? How could I allow this to happen? I told myself that some of the people in the gym were probably in my shoes at some point. (Gotta love your self talk...) Then I told myself I really don't care or give a hoot about these people. I don't know them and more then likely I never will. I probably won't ever see them again (trust me if I did I wouldn't recognize them anyways...I have no long term or for that matter even short term memory lately) so that being said, I told myself I'm doing this for me not for anyone else (okay maybe for my family too, I want to stick around for a while).

I realized that I've made the first step towards getting fit. The best part is that I get "me" time when I workout which made it truly enjoyable.

Thanks to my husband who loves me no matter what...chunky, chubby, el flabo grand', or just right...healthier.

3 comments:

Sean,Patty, Merrick, Memphis and Leia Donovan said...

Yeahhhh Es, I'm soooooo PROUD of you!!!! You are BEAUTIFUL inside and out to me but I totally know how you feel I seem to be going through the exact same dilemma. "How did it come to this" is what I like to ask myself and "when will it all go away? (sigh)".

River Nomads said...

Es, nice job on making a goal and taking the first steps on following through with it! Exercise is SO refreshing in many ways (especially when you have kids - you found some "me" time!) I take walks on trails early in the morning before anyone is out. It's peaceful and nice to have time to think about my own thoughts and dreams without having to answer to other people's demands and needs. Pick some music you really like to move to and FORGET about all those random barbies. You're a gem! Keep us posted on your progress!

Danielle Hatch said...

Way to go Es! I just went running for my first post baby exercise last week and let me tell you my lungs have never hurt so much! but we just have to remind ourselves that it will get easier each time :)